photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, March 21, 2014

Fabulous Room Friday 03.21.14


Happy Friday, everyone! I've mentioned before that as much as I love girly things, my own personal aesthetic veers a bit more masculine. It's funny, because most of my clients want glamorous, feminine looks which I am super comfortable with as well, but things are slightly more pared down in my own house. It's all about balance. This week, I fell in love with this uber-chic bathroom featured on Remodelista. It belongs to Glenn Lawson, one half of the talented duo at Lawson-Fenning, one of my favorite showrooms to visit when I am in Los Angeles. In fact, I have a huge crush on their Thin Frame Lounge Chairs. I'm dying to use them, but in the meantime, I specified the dining chair version for my client's dining room in San Francisco. Anyhow, Glenn lives in a 1920's Spanish Colonial house in the Los Feliz neighborhood near Hollywood and collaborated on the home's design with David John Dick and Krista Schrock of DISC Interiors

The entire house is very cool and features some great vintage pieces, but my favorite space is the master bedroom which they wanted to evoke the feeling of "an Italian guest suite". It is certainly chic enough to do so! The oak cabinetry was custom-designed and is accented with brass hardware and a marble top. The hexagon floors and shower are also done in marble. Speaking of the shower, how incredible is the aged brass surround? The plumbing fixtures are from Waterworks' Henry collection. Designer David John Dick mentioned in his interview with Remodelista that "using materials such as oak, brass, and marble, will always feel modern yet historical, and they will actually look better as they age over time." I couldn't agree more. Lately, in speaking to people and reading comments on blogs, I've noticed that some people seem to be concerned that materials such as brass and marble are too trendy and will look dated in a few years. To that I say this-- it's all in how you use it. There are few materials as timeless as white marble and aged brass, but again, it's all about balance and knowing how to temper a look. What are your thoughts? Have a great weekend!


{Image by D. Gilbert Photography via Remodelista}

2 comments:

Emma said...

That hexagon flooring is incredible. It works so well, especially with the brass. I agree with you on the matter of timelessness in the materials, too. It's in how you use it and how you love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the masculine vs. feminine thing. I completely agree about brass and marble. It is very classic.