photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Style Files: Lee Kleinhelter

_MG_3459.jpg

Lee Kleinhelter opened her fabulous Atlanta store, Pieces back in 2004 after sensing a void in the style market there. She sought out to create a concept that could bridge the gap between the mass-market stores we all know and high-end antiques dealers. Pieces offers a variety of unique textiles and accessories along with an array of vintage furnishings that have been given new life through new paint and upholstery. If you mention Pieces to most design lovers, they can most likely envision the store’s signature aesthetic. It is a great mix of unique furnishings, poppy colors, and amazing vintage inspiration. It’s a little East Coast, a little West Coast, and decidedly Southern with a modern twist, just like Lee.

lee2

Name: Lee Kleinhelter

Occupation: stylist, shop owner, mom

Hometown: Greensboro, NC

Current City: Atlanta

TABLE[1]

LDV: What do you love most about your career?

LK: I love styling and pulling pieces together. Editing and seeing a project come together is what I enjoy the most. 2nd most favorite would be bumping into a cool object or piece  of furniture that we salvage and bring back to life. So many of our pieces go through lots of steps, and it's always fantastic to see them transform. Of course, with our vintage pieces, the absolute final joy is when they find a great home. But back to favorite: by far it is editing and styling.

LEEHOLDEN[1] 

LDV: Where do you find inspiration?

LK: Restaurants, hotels, traveling ... But honestly it could be a paint chip, my child's new sippy cup or spread in a fashion magazine. I believe we all need to get out and see different things to be inspired. It's easy to get stuck in our daily routines. I also find it refreshing to stop and flip through old magazines. I'm so glad I saved some of my favorites since most are no longer in print. We are constantly on our phones and computers...so its nice to stop, relax and flip through the beautiful pages of what's gone on before.

miles redd habitually chic {Room Designed by Miles Redd}

LDV: Who are some of your personal style icons?

LK: Miles Redd is just beyond fabulous. His color! And Billy Baldwin of course. I also spent hours studying architecture and building models in school. That is when I fell in love with Richard Meier (obviously love all the white grids). And then... I also have secret mentors in other areas of design (fashion, etc) who inspire me...I'll tell you about those some other time.

YELLOW BEDROOM[1]

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

LK: Clean, WELL edited and styled with a punch of color.

STORESHOT[1]

LDV: What is the trait you most admire in a person?

LK: Honesty.

polly wreford 

LDV: What is your principal weakness?

LK: Without a doubt, shoes.

ORANGE TWIN BEDS[1]

8. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

Always trust your gut feeling.

summer lee3

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

I'm not sure if its happened yet.

summer lee

10. What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

Doing what I love for a living, and waking up every day with the two most important men in my life. I feel very lucky.

lee

Bloom:  Palm Tree

Food: Cheese. Amazing cheese!

Drink: Lately, Skinny girl Margaritas (wish I had invented!)

Thing to Wear: Great shoes!

Destination: Would love to go back to Parrot Cay or St. Barts, both to die.

Season: Fall

Musician: Lady Gaga (dying over her clothes)

Television Show: All Bravo.. And Flipping Out. I can always relate!

Book: Sadly, lately, I don't have time to read.

{An Entry from Mrs. Lillien’s Blog}

Magazines: Vogue, Us Weekly, Elle Decor, ALL travel magazines

Blogs: Ms. Lillien

Texture: Soft fur (like our tibetan goat fur pouf...to die!)

 

C-160.jpg

Fabric or Pattern: Chevron

Color: Hot Pink...like our tufted hot pink/chrome chairs.

Scent: Basil

Extravagance: Have I mentioned shoes?

12 comments:

paula said...

one of my faves yet. Lee is such an inspiration.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Cool post. I love the wares at Pieces.
Alcira

thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

ALR said...

Gorgeous and lovely! I love how she describes her style, and you have to love a girl who loves shoes so much:)
Great profile!!

Amy R.

Unknown said...

Loving this- thanks for the intro to Lee and Pieces!
And PS, I would kill for a set of those pink and chrome chairs- anyone know where I could find a set? LOVE!!

Unknown said...

Christine, the chairs are from Lee's store, Pieces!

Milk and Honey Home said...

Of course I love Lee! I'm an Atlanta girl. She just has "it".

Rachael said...

Love the shoes picture and love this interview! She seems lovely!!

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

Mona Thompson said...

Another great introduction. We love re-purposing things as well. Our look is a little more European/Traditional but I can tell I would LOVE HER STORE AND WILL DEFINITELY visit the next time we're in Atlanta. Love the name Pieces. That's perfect!

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

I love Lee and her store, Pieces! Thank you so much for this great style file!

lauren rauter said...

Love Lee... so talented and sweet!

Unknown said...

This was beyond fabulous...loved every last inch of this post!

rbj said...

Just discovered your blog - so excited! Can you tell me the designer of the navy blue dress? Love it.