photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Style Files: Crystal Gentilello

CrystalGentilello[1]

Over the past year or so, Crystal Gentilello and I have bonded over a shared love of all things Italian and other uncanny similarities. In fact, back in June when she shared her “10 Things” list on La Dolce Vita, I told her I felt as if her list were my own. It’s a funny thing, this blogging world, in the way it brings together such like-minded people. Chances are, you probably know Crystal from her blog, Plush Palate and her newest project, Rue Magazine, which just launched it’s first issue last month. Never one to back down from a challenge, Crystal followed her passion and pursued her dream of starting a magazine. Crystal is drive and genuine personality are both inspiring and endearing.

 

crystal2

Name: Crystal Gentilello

Occupation: Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Rue Magazine

Hometown: Seattle

Current City: I’m moving to San Francisco from Chicago in just a few weeks!

 

Crystal's Living Room[1]

{Crystal’s Apartment as Featured in Rue}

LDV: What inspired you to begin your career in interior design and publishing?

CG: Interior design and writing have always been my two life passions. As a little girl, I couldn’t get enough of either. I spent hours and hours on end journaling and rearranging my bedroom. But it was much later in life when the epiphany of how I could marry the two came to me. Today I live out both my passions through publishing the online shelter publication, Rue Magazine.

{Crystal’s Apartment as Featured in Rue}

LDV: What do you love most about it? What is the most challenging aspect?

CG: I love that what I do is a mix of the artistic and the analytical. The business side of running a magazine gets my excitement going just as much as the creative parts. I’m very much a blend of left and right brain. The most challenging aspect is charting new territory – the learning curve is steep. But when there is a will, there is a way!

{The Rue Girls - Image Via Alaina Kaczmarski}

LDV: Where do you find inspiration?

CG:  From creative, gracious, intelligent and business savvy women. I am so fortunate to have a really strong inner circle of trusted friends in this industry. They are all doing amazing things with their careers in interior design and keep me pushing for bigger and better too.

darryl carter elle decor[1]

{Interior Design by Darryl Carter}

LDV: Who are some of your personal style icons?

CG: For fashion, Kate Middleton. She's mastered that tricky balance of exuding sex appeal and class all at once. For interiors, Darryl Carter. His work is visual brilliance in my eyes. Darryl’s clean, warm aesthetic where balance and scale work in perfect harmony, speaks to my own design sensibilities.

{Crystal’s Apartment as Featured in Rue}

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

CG:  I would say it’s elegant, sophisticated, and clean. I gravitate towards the classic over the trendy, quality over quantity, and restraint over indulgence.

{Crystal’s Apartment as Featured in Rue}

LDV: What is the trait you most admire in a person?

CG: A strong sense of self.

{Crystal’s Apartment as Featured in Rue}

LDV: What is your principal weakness?

CG: I’m a perfectionist.

{A Project by Woodson and Rummerfield as Featured in Rue}

LDV: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

CG: "Who are you not to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?" 

{The First Issue of Rue}

LDV: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

CG: A few months ago I would have said living in Italy for three years, which was an invaluable period of person growth for me. Today, I would say publishing Rue Magazine. It's the most challenging endeavor I've ever embarked on, but it's also the most rewarding, fulfilling, and extraordinary experience I've ever had.

{Crystal’s Apartment as Featured in Rue}

LDV: What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

CG: I have to say I’m fortunate to be living it! I do what I’m passionate about, I travel all the time, I have amazing friends and family, and I’m optimistic and excited about the future! Can’t get much better than that!

 crystal

roses porchlight interiors

Bloom: I’m a classic girl at heart so a simple rose.

Food: European cheeses, dark chocolates, Roman artichokes, and black truffles are impossible for me to resist.

Drink: The only beverages I ever drink are water, coffee, and wine.

{Diane Von Furstenberg wearing one of her Iconic Wrap Dresses – Image Credit}

Thing to Wear: Clothes with simple, form fitting silhouettes. I can't think of anything more flattering than the iconic DVF wrap dress or a pair of skinny jeans with sky-high heels.

Destination: I never tire of Italy, but I'm dying to experience the Maldives.

Season: Winter. It's cozy, has the best holidays, and the fashion for the season is my favorite.

Your Party

{Painting by Sarah Matson Westover}

Meal: Much too difficult to answer, but most likely something home cooked and Italian.

Musician: I’ve been listening to a lot of Dave Matthews lately.

 Artist: I just discovered the art of Sarah Matson Westover on a recent photo shoot and am in love with her work!

Film: So many, but Good Will Hunting and La Vita E’ Bella are always favorites.

Television Show: I actually don't really watch TV. I turn it on maybe once a month at most. Instead, I’m always on my laptop!

Book: The Alchemist and Eat Pray Love

Magazines: Town & Country has become a new favorite since Stephen Drucker became editor in chief.

Blogs: coco + kelley is an absolute favorite. I also adore the city sage, haute design, and dress design decor.

Texture: As we move into the colder months...velvet.

Fabric or Pattern: Right now, I’m really into geometric patterns.

 

Color: Black is always stunning.

Scent: Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir  

Extravagance: Fine wining and dining.

Quote: "Leap and the net will appear."

18 comments:

1dekorasyon said...

thank you very much for this useful interior design related topic. my appreciation is for your nice presentation.

Rachael said...

Beautiful pictures and interview...so chic!

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

Loved this beautiful insight into the fabulously talented Crystal's world!

And oh, her apartment always takes my breath away! Simple luxury at its best!

Design Elements said...

interesting post! lovely greetings from Germany

ALR said...

Wonderful interview! I love to hear what inspires someone to fulfill their dreams.
Amy R.

Unknown said...

Incredible interview. I feel like Rue was an instant success, but I'm sure it took a great deal of courage for Crystal to take the leap. I love her favorite quote --- she is obviously living by that!!!

xo Elizabeth

Stella said...

I really enjoyed this profile. I can relate to so many of Crystal's fav things.
And I love love love her apartment.

VICTORIA BELLOW said...

Wonderful interview,Brilliant answers,I truly enjoyed this profile, and each room is Sheer perfection, So is the Images!Inspiring!

Laura Trevey said...

Wonderful interview... Rue is a hit!
I love that gorgeous abstract painting too ~~

xoxo Laura

Anna @ IHOD said...

Crystal is fabulous. She is beautiful inside and out. Fun interview! Thanks to both of you ladies!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

What a wonderful post, loved reading Crystal's answers.

I can't watch "La vita è bella" anymore. Once and a bucket of tears was enough for me, although Benigni's "Johnny Stecchino" is one I can watch over and over and always laugh.

Happy Weekend!

Abby said...

That may be the best favorite quote ever. Shouldn't that all be our life motto!

Unknown said...

Crystal is such an inspiration and just as lovely in person as she is in this interview! Absolutely loved this feature.

Rachel {little bits of lovely} said...

Crystal is so inspiring, the fact she followed her heart with soul and now she is living the dream: brilliant!

YELENA STARIKOVA said...

Very Inspiring! She is go Beautiful and Talented!
allglamthings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Sarah Matson Westover's work. Her sister-in-law Wendaline Matson does fantastic pieces as well! Have a great day!
Sara
www.luv2luxuriate.com

Sara said...

I LOVE Sarah Matson Westover's work! Her sister-in-law, Wendaline Matson has fantastic pieces too!

Sara

Anne said...

Sara's work is amazing!!! Quick note: her first name is spelled "Sara".